Wednesday, June 9, 2010

- St. Cuthbert’s Mission

- St. Cuthbert’s Mission is an Amerindian village found in Region 4. It is the only Amerindian village found in that region. It is populated mainly by Arawaks and a few mixed race (about 5%) that make up the population. In the past, the village was known as Pakcuri. However, there was an Anglican priest who visited the area many years ago; he arrived at the village on St. Cuthbert’s Day and since then it is known as St. Cuthbert’s Mission. The entire village was Christianized and still is. The population at present is estimated about 1500 households. St. Cuthbert’s Mission was a typical Amerindian village in the past; the villagers sustained their livelihood mainly by hunting, fishing and farming.

At present the state of this place has changed drastically over a number of years. There has been rapid development in the area. Villagers now have access to electricity, potable water, telecommunication, improvement in the education and health standard. The structure of almost of the houses has changed to meet the modern world. We believe that this is a result of the village closeness to the city.
Most of the public buildings are located in the center of the village. There are three churches, three schools, a handicraft shop, health center and the Captains’ office.
One can get to the destination by boat through the Mahaica River and also by land using a truck or land cruiser via the Soesdyke Linden Highway.
St. Cuthbert’s Mission is a peaceful place and is known for producing quality handicraft products.
During the month of September, St. Cuthbert’s Mission celebrates Amerindian Heritage Month on the last Saturday. The celebration attracts a lot of visitors to the area. There is usually a display of arts and craft as well as a cultural presentation.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely pictures..a nice place to visit

    ReplyDelete